Hey guys! So if you read my blog post about the Miss France fiasco, you already know all about my Pinterest board. If not, here’s the post! I was so excited to finally be able to get this look up. It is the first of what will become a series of looks inspired by the women from the Pinterest Board, “The Skin I’m In.” Haven’t seen the board? Here it is!
Urban Decay Vice 2 Palette, Strike, Smokeout and Ambush
Maybelline Stiletto Liquid Liner, Black
L’Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions, Black
L’Oreal Liquid Pencil Liner, Black
MAC Eyeshadow, BrownScript LORAC Pro Palette,Gold
Gladiator Tribute: Olivia Pope Inspired Makeup that’s perfect for fall!
Olivia Pope is fashion forward, stylish, and always on the mark. Even in the midst of a national crisis, she is put together—even if that means sending a White House aid to her apartment to retrieve fresh suits and blouses. She is arguably the most powerful woman in the free world, so it’s no wonder she has the leader of the free world in her back pocket. All these things, combined with the fact that #ScandalisBack, compelled me to do an Olivia Pope inspired look as part of my Fall Makeup series! The oranges, golds, and taupes I include help make this on trend. I hope you enjoy this makeup look as much as I enjoyed myself putting it together! Everything I used, as well as a link to the video is included in this post.
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this makeup look and tutorial inspired by the ever fabulous Olivia Pope. Please feel free to comment with any questions, and don’t forget to like my video and SUBSCRIBE!
Vaseline may just be one of the best beauty products on the market
When you think beauty product, you probably don’t think petroleum jelly. Well, neither did I, but that should change! Here are 11 ways that Vaseline is the best beauty product out there. Here are, in no particular order, the 11 beauty related Vaseline uses that keep me coming back jar after jar.
12. Make Perfume Last Longer
Perfume evaporates faster off of dry skin! Rub some vaseline on the areas you would normally apply your scent, and then spray. Your perfume will evaporate much more slowly, and last all day.
11. Lip Balm
Anyone who has ever used Vaseline as a lip balm can attest to its ability to make your lips baby soft. Never used it? Chances are you actually have! Most lip balms (think Carmex, among others) have petrolatum as the first, or one of the first ingredients, and so its one of the major active ingredients needed to give you soft, moisturized lips. How does Vaseline achieve this? It seals in moisture.
10. Lip Exfoliator
Let’s be real: with fall creeping in, and winter just around the corner we are all going to need a good lip exfoliator. Most are expensive, except for my all time favorite one by elf, so you may want to think about a DIY if you don’t have lip exfoliator handy! All you need is vaseline and brown sugar, and you’ve got yourself a lip exfoliator you can do at home in no time.
Many of you may have already heard of the first three vaseline uses, but this one is a little less known. You know when you go outside of your nail, and have little flecks of nail polish on your skin surrounding? Well, here is where vaseline can come in handy. If you don’t have time to soak your hands afterwards, using vaseline to rim around your nail will prevent the polish from adhering to your skin! All you have to do is paint, let set for a few minutes (does not have to be completely dyr, just not wet), and then wipe around the nail with a Q-Tip. Works like a charm every time!
8. Dry Shaving Cream
Have you ever gotten ready only to realize that you missed a spot shaving? If you’re anything like me, you need to take care of it immediately! On days like these, vaseline is an absolute life saver. Take some vaseline and smooth it over the area that you would like to shave. Using a quality, ie. sharp, but disposable razor shave off the hairs you missed! The area will be smooth, easy, moisturized and most importantly hairless in no time.
Prepoo, for people who don’t know, is a pre-shampoo treatment you do for your hair before you shampoo! It is super important for girls with dry, damaged, or chemically treated hair and I strongly recommend that everyone do one at least twice a month! Let me know if you want to see a post on this! Anyways, apply the vaseline to the length of your hair before using a clarifying shampoo to see incredible shine and cut down on the stresses sulfates can inflict on your hair. For best results, let sit under a shower cap for 30 minutes.
6. Split End Prevention
Jumping off the last post, vaseline can be incredibly vital to sealing moisture in your hair. Where is this most important? Often in your ends. Use vaseline on the ends of your hair to lock in moisture and prevent splitting! For people with fine, greasy, or grease prone hair this is best done as a prepoo treatment. You will definitely see an improvement!
5. Skin Protectant
Vaseline has got your back ladies! One of my favorite vaseline uses is as a skin protectant. This works in the same way as described in the manicure use. Apply to skin, usually on the perimeter of your hairline or to the scalp, before using dye or chemical relaxer. This will protect your skin from the chemicals you are using while you complete the treatment. Vaseline can also be used on the scalp for further protection. Always protect your skin!
4. Foot Spa
If you haven’t already, definitely check out my DIY at home foot spa post telling you how to get super soft feet overnight! I used another product by vaseline, their gel oil, but plain old petroleum jelly will work wonders as well! Use the same procedure, swapping in vaseline and you will have soft touchable feet literally overnight.
3. Set Eyebrows
This may not be ideal for those with oily skin, but in the colder months when dry skin plagues many of us, vaseline can be used to set and seal eyebrows beautifully! I prefer this to wax in the colder months because it is more breathable, won’t freeze (yes it has gotten that cold where I’ve lived…-20 degrees anyone?), and it’s very moisturizing. Apply to eyebrows with a Q-Tip for precision after filling them in, and you are good to go!
2. High Fashion Eyeshadow
I know you’ve all seen this look done time and time again.
Ever wonder how they achieve this look? Vaseline! Well, even if that isn’t exactly what they use I am sure it is something extremely similar. Apply your eyeshadow as usual, then pat some vaseline on top for this high shine, high fashion look. If you would like to see a tutorial I would be more than happy to do one for this makeup look!
1. Lip Analgesic
Chapped lips can be painful. Distractingly painful. Trust me ladies, I feel your pain! That’s why I have to recommend vaseline as a serious analgesic. An analgesic is a topical pain reliever. When applied to chapped or broken lips, it relieves the pain almost immediate and then seals in the moisture need to heal. Never be without this beauty must-have during those dreaded winter months!
Ok, those are my top vaseline uses when it comes to beauty. I hope you found the list helpful! As always, feel free to be in touch with me and please comment!
Ahh, the drugstore. I can never just go in and get out. I always have to browse the makeup aisles, and it’s a good thing because I have found quite a few of my holy grail products at the drugstore. Here is my “best drugstore makeup” list.
1. Maybelling Color Tattoo If you pay any attention to the online beauty community, you already know about this product and know it is a favorite. Why? It’s impressively long-wearing, lightweight, highly-pigmented and goes on like silk. There are an assortment of colors, most of which are metallic. They make excellent eye shadow base, but can also be worn alone in warm weather for gorgeous color that won’t budge. You will love this all year round, but you’ll be especially grateful you have it during the sweltering summer months.
Maybelline Color Tattoo L to R: Pomegranate Punk and Bad to the Bronze
2. Maybelline Line Stiletto Ok, again, another popular one. What makes this little guy so impressive? The staying power. I have literally done tests where I rub and rub at this and it’s the last to budge, even alongside some of my high end liners. It has a pretty, satiny finish (somewhere between a matte finish and the high-shine finish of the Urban Decay liquid liner). I have it in “Blackest Black,” and I am by no means disappointed in the color intensity.
Maybelline Line Stiletto
3. Maybelline Lash Stiletto Mascara (Waterproof) One of my favorite mascaras by far. It is great at lengthening, but without any of the clump. It has a great formula that is not drying, but rather allows for very comfortable all-day wear. It is very black, and has a really lightweight formula.
4. Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara (Waterproof) This mascara is one of the best lash extension mascaras I have come across. Though it had a thick formula, it doesn’t leave my lashes looking clumpy or spidery in the way that many lash extension products do. It gives a surprisingly comfortable all-day wear, and the lengthening is incredible! I usually use this on top of another mascara on days I do not use it on its own for its amazing lengthening abilities. Very black color, and creates volume without looking spidery.
5. L’Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions Mascara (Waterproof) This mascara…speechless. This has to be my favorite mascara of all time. It has all my favorite attributes of the perfect mascara, and is long wearing on top of that. It is jet black, wet looking, and non-clumpy. It has lengthening abilities for days, but is also volumizing. On top of all that, it works amazing well on my top and bottom lashes while performing well on the hard-to-reach lashes near my tearduct. Worth every penny, I will continue to repurchase this mascara as long as they manufacture it.
6. L’Oreal Extra Intense Liquid Pencil Liner Ok. Mind blown. It’s a pencil and a liquid all at once. I didn’t believe it when I heard it, but it’s true. Somehow. This product has all the smoothness and intensity of a liquid, with the control and smudgeability of a pencil. It is super soft and hyper-pigmented in a way that puts many high-end liners to shame. For roughly 8$ it is a must-have, a steal, and a holy grail product all at once. I highly recommend this product for anyone with eyes. But seriously, my eyeliner was always moving and running until I found this baby and now I am never going back. On Saturday I was at an outdoor music festival until midnight in the sweltering heat, and when I got back my eyeliner had not budged. Impressive is an understatement.
7. NYC Liquid Liner
This has to be one of my all time favorite liquid eyeliners. Besides the fact that it is incredibly affordable, it has a great formula. It is really thick, almost like a hybrid between gel liner and liquid liner. It also has an intense, matte finish that only intensifies the black color of the liner.
I bought this foundation shortly after I bought my Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in hopes of finding a dupe that is easier on the pockets. Did I succeed? Absolutely.
In all her glory…
This foundation is nothing short of amazing. While it does not slide on as smoothly as the Bobbi Brown, it performs just as well in every other aspect and even supersedes its oil-control abilities. It stays all day, even outside, even in considerable heat! It is lightweight, buildable coverage at its finest. Drugstore dupe for my favorite foundation, $9.99. Being asked about my foundation routine in Sephora by the makeup consultants while wearing a $10 drugstore product? Priceless. It photographs beautifully with no flashback, and works wonderfully with my milk of magnesia/aquaprime pre-foundation routine.
This foundation, being so lightweight, is a bit runnier than average. Not a problem for me, but the lack of a pump or other more controlled dispenser opens the door for potential mess.
This has to be the best foundation I have ever tried when you take both price and performance into account. It is beautifully light with a buildable coverage that performs well on small breakouts. Great for combination skin, and those without severe discoloration.
This product can be found at most drugstores for $9.99. Cappuccino is a bit dark, but I prefer to go dark than lighter, and you can always blend with a lighter shade.